Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Saint Margaret Clitherow

"I ground my faith upon Jesus Christ, and by Him I steadfastly believe to be saved, as is taught in the Catholic Church through all Christendom, and promised to remain with Her unto the world's end, and hell gates shall not prevail against it: and by God's assistance I mean to live and die in the same faith; for if an angel come from heaven, and preach any other doctrine than we have received, the Apostle biddeth us not to believe him. Therefore, if I should follow your doctrine, I should disobey the Apostle's commandment."
- Saint Margaret Clitherow (1555 - 1586)



Today is the feast day of Saint Margaret Clitherow, one of the martyrs of England. Margaret was born in 1555 in Middleton, England. She was known by many for her beauty and her charming personality. In 1571, Margaret married John Clitherow, who was a wealthy butcher and grazier, and they had two children together. A few years after her marriage, Margaret joined the Catholic Church. She helped harbor fugitive priests, and was arrested and imprisoned for this. Every attempt was made to make her deny her Faith, but to no avail. Margaret would not give in. She was then condemned to be pressed to death on March 25, 1586. Upon learning of her condemnation, she said, "The sheriffs have said that I am going to die this coming Friday; and I feel the weakness of my flesh which is troubled at this news, but my spirit rejoices greatly. For the love of God, pray for me and ask all good people to do likewise."


Saint Margaret Clitherow, pray for us!
_________________________________________
Picture Of And Information About Saint Margaret Taken From:
http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=515

http://www.cwl.org.nz/the-league/saint-margaret-clitherow/

No comments:

Post a Comment